But the latest version isn’t available through the default repositories. The add-apt-repository command is not a regular package that can be installed with apt on Ubuntu LTS / Debian. Instead, it’s a component of the software-properties-common package. The package add-apt-repository is not installed on your system.
- The add-apt-repository command is not a regular package that can be installed with apt on Ubuntu or Debian system.
- This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks.
- Open a terminal window / command line by using the Ctrl + Alt + T or Ctrl + Alt + F2 key combinations.
- You can now comfortably use add-apt-repository or apt-add-repository commands to add PPAs.
- If you are tired of fixing your system, reinstalling would be the quick and dirty way to get out of it.
- A package manager does the work of loading the software package you want.
Fire up the terminal and complete the below-given steps to install the software-properties-common package. A package manager does the work of loading the software package you want. If there are any dependencies, the package manager installs those as well. Additionally, a package manager automatically keeps track of all installed software and updates. After I run this script “sudo apt-get install software-properties-common”.
How to fix “sudo: add-apt-repository: command not found” error on Ubuntu
In Linux, special tools were developed for managing applications. You have also gained insight into software repositories and package management and the value they bring to maintain your systems and keep them at an optimum level. It doesn’t specify any error which could be further investigated.
- The PPA repository is successfully added to the system, and LibreOffice is successfully installed.
- Vladimir is a resident Tech Writer at phoenixNAP.
- For example, Wine is a popular package for running non-Linux software on a Linux system.
- If you want to install a software package that’s not included in these default repositories, you need to add that repository to your package manager.
- By default, each Linux distribution grants access to a set of basic, default repositories.
A package manager works in tandem with a software repository. A repository is a database of many different software packages. By default, each Linux distribution grants access to a set of basic, default repositories. This quick tutorial shows you how to quickly fix the “add-apt-repository command not found” error on Debian, Ubuntu and other Debian-based Linux distributions. Other software may be subject to additional licensing. Such as in the case of Debian, restrictive licensing may disqualify a package from being included in the default repositories. In these cases, the add-apt-repository command is the key to grant access to the software you want to install.
How to fix “sudo add-apt-repository command not found” error on Ubuntu 22.04
Certain software packages aren’t included in the default repositories. To make installing easier, developers created their own software repositories. This is when the add-apt-repository command is used.
How do I fix apt repository?
- Deleting sources. list file.
- Enable Default Repositories.
- Remove Unwanted PPAs.
- Run Update.
In this tutorial, you learned to use the add-apt-repositories command in Ubuntu or Debian to resolve the repository not found error. The message means that the package in question is installed explicitly, not as a dependency on another package. Usually, packages like software-properties-common are installed as a dependency of other package.
What is a Repository in Ubuntu
Linuxize.com needs to review the security of your connection before proceeding. After this operation, 846 kB of additional disk space will be used. If a script is not written correctly, or if something unusual happens, PHP can generate an error message.
The add-apt-repository command is not a regular package that can be installed with apt on Ubuntu or Debian system. It is a component of the software-properties-commonpackage instead. For example, Wine is a popular package for running non-Linux software on a Linux system.
Fix add-apt-repository: command not found error
The software applications can be installed on Ubuntu and Debian systems in many ways. The one common way to install applications is through the Personal Package Archive Repository. The PPA’s are the external repositories that are created and maintained by developers.
How do I find repository in Linux?
For Debian systems such as Ubuntu, you could use a command like the one shown below to list the repositories that are used when you update your system. This command selects sources from the /etc/apt/sources. list file and /etc/apt/sources. list.
When you remove the main package, these dependency packages are also removed. Since you chose to manually install it, now it won’t get removed automatically.
The ‘add-apt-repository command not found’ Ubuntu error appears when trying to add a new software repository. This indicates that the add-apt-repository package is missing on your system.